Thursday, April 24, 2008

Let Go and Let God

"Let Go and Let God"

Transition … change … moving from one level to another … however you want to put it, it’s never an easy process. As a matter of fact it’s a never ending process that we must become used to. I don’t know about you but if I were in control of my destiny it would not take long and it would be as easy as possible. As I look back over my life I can see as I look to the future I am encouraged by the fact that what’s ahead really is greater than what I have already experienced. However, the frustration of knowing that there is a process, (a series of changes) that I must go through to get there still haunts my thoughts. My struggle, probably like many of you, is simply letting go of how I want things to go and letting God have his way.

There is a popular song right now by Dewayne Woods called, "Let Go" and the lyrics to the chorus are:

"As soon as I stop worrying,
Worrying how the story ends
I let go and let God
Let God have his way
That’s when things start happening
When I stopped looking at back then I let go and let God
Let God have his way."

I have listened to this song continuously for the past 3 or 4 days and the message in the music has rung true, but what does it mean to "Let Go and Let God?"

I am learning that in order for things to go according to God’s plan I have to let go of my plan… my desires… my ideas of how things should be. The word "let" according to the dictionary means, to allow or permit. God never forces his will on his people; he simply waits until we give him permission to have free reign in our lives. It doesn’t stop with just permission being given but the saying is "let GO." We must release from our grasps what we are too afraid to let go of. What are you too afraid to release to God? Releasing those areas or things that you have been trying to control takes the responsibility off of you and puts it on God who tells us in Proverbs that if we trust him, lean not to our own understanding, and acknowledge Him and he will direct our paths. He is the same God who encourages us in Jeremiah by letting us know that he has an awesome plan for our lives and it’s one that will make us better and not bring us down. If we take the time to just meditate on these couple of scriptures it makes it a little bit easier to release those things that we continue to hold on to and allow God to do his thing in our lives.

Once we get the letting go straight we can "let God." Letting God is a huge step that involves not only letting go of our own desires but giving in to everything that will help us move forward and be successful in God … God’s plan. I am reminded of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane when his flesh felt the struggle of the fulfillment of his purpose. In that moment, his flesh wanted to fulfill his purpose some other way, the spirit man, though, allowed Jesus to say in so many words. Lord, I don’t want to do this but I am deciding to let go and let God have his way.

The road to God’s purpose in your life is not an easy road. There are periods of frustration, and struggle … there are times of anger and sadness and yet still there are moments of happiness and joy when you look back and see how far you have come. I have decided that I am going to let go and let God so things can start happening for me.
© Copyright LaTrisha E. Milton March 25, 2008

No comments: