Rubies Ain’t Got NOTHING on Me!
Proverbs 31:10
As young women it is important that the standards we hold for ourselves causes others to see that not only is our time valuable, but WE are valuable. I used to feel bad about setting such high standards when it comes to who I let in and out of my life but I have learned that when I lower my standards even a little the possibility of me being disappointed are increased. Proverbs 31:10 has always been a verse that I have used as a standard of who I want to become as a woman and how I want others to see me.
“Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price if far above rubies.”
Does a virtuous woman really exist? Where can you find her and once you find her how do you keep her? God continues to inspire me through his word and as a result of his revelation of this scripture he has motivated me once again to keep reaching towards him.
Point 1: A Virtuous Woman is worth Finding
Proverbs 31:10 begins with a question:
“Who can find a virtuous woman?”
This question does not necessarily mean that this woman is lost. The virtuous woman is not at all lost… she is simply waiting to be discovered. Let’s look at a couple of definitions of “find”:
- To discover or confirm the truth of (something)
- To uncover the true nature, identity, of intentions of (Someone)
Have you ever lost something and in the process of searching for it you realized you overlooked it several times before you “discovered” it was right in front of your face? A virtuous woman… a woman of power and righteousness is one who has to be discovered. She may appear one way on the outside but if the time is taken to get to know her you will uncover what truly lies beneath the surface and what lies beneath is the type of virtue that will change the life of the person who seeks deep enough to find it.
The fact that it says, “who can find” suggests that this woman is sought after. She may be recognized from a distance but the challenge still remains as to how do I get to her and once I get to her, how do I go about acquiring and retaining her attention. If you are successful at capturing the attention of this woman you can get her heart…. But you have to know what’s in her heart in order to capture her attention.
So, the question still remains… “Who can find a virtuous woman?” The description of the woman gives part of the answer, in order to find her you must seek after that which describes her… virtue. Virtue means, 1) moral excellence, 2) goodness, 3) righteousness. Ultimately seeking virtue is seeking God!
Point 2: Rubies ain’t got NOTHING on the Virtuous woman!
The second half of the verse moves from locating this woman to explaining why she’s so hard to find … “her price is far above rubies.” I did a little research on Rubies and the very 1st thing I found was that a “ruby is extremely rare and one of the most valuable precious gemstones in nature.” A virtuous woman is similar to this in that she is not one that you come into contact with on a regular basis, but when you do you will recognize the rarity of her kind… her character, integrity, personality…etc.
The ruby is attractive because of its brilliance, especially so if it is crystal clear and transparent. Isn’t that interesting?? Brilliant means “striking and distinctive,” this is the type of description you would give to people that walk into a room and never say a word, but there is something about their presence that draws you to them. To add to the presence, a personality that is genuine and real adds to the package. A person who has a powerful presence and a transparent life leaves you speechless and this is the impact of a virtuous woman.
There were many other facts about rubies that I can share but none will come close to the virtuous woman. She is one who really can not be described with words, but one who is experience and as a result of the experience you will know exactly what to look for and what to do to get her. All of the gifts in the world will not entice her… the total value of all the diamonds and rubies in the world do not add up to her worth. God’s presence and anointing in her life makes her brilliant, which draws attention to her.
I don’t know about you but it is my desire to reach the status of being a virtuous woman. It is not arrogant to want the best and it is not conceited to think your time is valuable and that others must earn it. God has given us his word as a road map and model of how we are to live our lives. If it is your desire to be a virtuous woman then I would suggest increasing your worth by seeking more of God’s presence in your life. As his presence increases, his anointing increases … as his anointing increasing, his favor increases … as his favor increases your life takes on a new level which leads to a new outlook and at that point you can say with confidence,
“Rubies ain’t got NOTHING on ME”!
© Copyright LaTrisha E. Milton July 9, 2008

No comments:
Post a Comment